Here is how the internship scam works. It’s not about a “skills” gap. It’s about a morality gap.
1) Make higher education worthless by redefining “skill” as a specific corporate contribution. Tell young people they have no skills.
2) With “skill” irrelevant, require experience. Make internship sole path to experience. Make internships unpaid, locking out all but rich.
3) End on the job training for entry level jobs. Educated told skills are irrelevant. Uneducated told they have no way to obtain skills.
4) As wealthy progress on professional career path, middle and lower class youth take service jobs to pay off massive educational debt.
5) Make these part-time jobs not “count” on resume. Hire on prestige, not skill or education. Punish those who need to work to survive.
6) Punish young people who never found any kind of work the hardest. Make them untouchables — unhireable.
7) Tell wealthy people they are “privileged” to be working 40 hrs/week for free. Don’t tell them what kind of “privileged” it is.
8) Make status quo commentary written by unpaid interns or people hiring unpaid interns. They will tell you it’s your fault.
9) Young people, it is not your fault. Speak out. Fight back. Bankrupt the prestige economy.
this comes from the top rope.
As attentive followers know, I just recently finished a four month internship and started a job, in an industry where frankly that is miraculous. To do all the work of a real employee for nothing for only less than half a year.
If I reblogged this a thousand times, it would not be often enough.
The biggest joke of all time is the one being played on young people in America right now. Go into debt to obtain a degree when more people have them than ever, work for free and pay absurd rents in major cities like New York. If this is cool, fair or fun for you, by all means please keep the party goin’ bro. But for the rest of us sane, thrifty and smart people, we can do so much better. Fight this. If nobody accepts this garbage, you will force it to reform.